Friday 1 February 2013

A Counting Book

Ten Red Apples : A Bartholomew Bear Counting Book

by Virginia Miller

Tidying up and sorting  my maths picture books and stopped to  reread this book. I had forgotten that it is more than just a counting book. In fact when  looking closely there are a combination of green and red apples on the tree and that each combination  makes visible all of the rainbow pairs that make to  ten and their turnarounds as well. Why have I not spotted this before?
I have used the book many times to show:
  • subitizable groups
  • counting in 2s
  • spotting ways of making each number
  • the relationship between addition and subtractions  
  • to  finish a count back on zero
  • to pose open ended number problems for students to solve in any way they prefer 
And yet I missed the rainbow pairs. This is a great book to use in conjunction with the strategy poster or with the parent book:
 

I may have to create a pin for this in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment