Friday 28 June 2013

What'll they think of next?

Ann has been working at North Ingle Primary School with students in Grades 5, 6 and 7. She had set them a problematised situation that they were successful in solving, Then she decided it was time to turn the tables.
"I want you to think up some problematised situations for me. Do you think you could do that?"
She was overwhelmed by the range and quality of the responses. Here are a couple of the problems that the students thought up but it was hard to choose from the great ideas that came forward,

Problem 1


Do you want to hear about the time that I went to my nanna's two weeks ago and helped her run her egg store. She has chickens and had an order for 3 1/2 dozen eggs. Every other day I had to collect the eggs. On my first day, which was a Monday, the hens had laid 8 eggs. After that I only collected 6 eggs each time. After two weeks, I had to come home on the Sunday. Do you think there were any eggs left over?



Problem 2


One day Dr Phil was looking for a new studio to record in.
He had a few options.
Option 1 is 15m × 18m for $7829 with a 10% discount.
Option 2 is 16m × 17m for $8792 with a 13% discount.
And Option 3 is 28m × 13m for $11829 with a 23% discount.
Which option do you think Dr Phil should choose and why?


The students are really looking forward to working on each others' problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment